This is potentially the most super-easy chocolate Brownie recipe ever!
Where as the usual recipe relies on a large amount of butter, this recipe benefits from a healthy dose of extra virgin Olive Oil, of which is the undisputed best fat ever – exceptionally high in monounsaturated fats and antioxidants it makes a very moist and moreish version that outweighs the indulgence with its goodness (thats our excuse anyway!).
This will take just minutes to prepare and can be eaten as it is or could be embellished with chopped nuts, raisins or both. It also makes the base for a more elaborate chocolate gateau if you cool it down in the fridge beforehand to ease slicing. However, it really must be eaten at room temperature to enjoy the rich, moist consistency.
- 150g all-purpose flour
- 265g caster sugar
- 65g best quality cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 155ml water
- 155ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon good quality vanilla extract
- Preheat a static oven to 180ºc then line a 20cm x 20cm loose-bottom cake tin with baking parchment.
- Simply sift together all the dry ingredients, then pour in the wet ingredients, mixing thoroughly together. Thats it !
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until nicely risen and the surface is no longer shiny.
- Take out of oven and cool for 30 minutes.
- Slice and enjoy!